Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cease Fire - 4th of July

I’d like to wish everyone a wonderful 4th of July holiday. Nate and I went to the fireworks last night and heard our wonderful symphony orchestra play. The themes from “Superman” and “E.T.” as well as selections from “South Pacific” and an Armed Forces salute, “God Bless America” and “Colors of the Wind” from Pocahontas. It was really beautiful, until I noticed those storm clouds coming in from the west. I thought maybe it was just heat lightning until I felt that cool wind blowing. Bad news. Can you say, “Deluge.” They announced at 15 after 10 that the storm was in my town and heading our direction with high winds and hail. Can you say, “Mass exodus?” Sure ya can. Nate’s sister called from across the river (amazingly she and her grandfather were exactly across the river from us) and said she had talked to Jeff and he said it was already raining there. I took Nate and headed toward my office building, which had a clearer path than the parking garage but as we came out of the narrow alley saw sheets of rain coming down the street. We turned and ran for an underground parking garage. Have you ever seen blue lightning? I have. Nate said, “Mommy, I didn’t know you could run that fast.” I said, “Dude, Mommy ran track.” While we escaped the majority of the storm, many had to take shelter in doorways and one person was injured when lightning struck about 30 ft. from them at the amphitheater where we had just been. Blue frickin’ lightning! It was one of those storms where the lightning hasn’t even faded before the thunder is cracking overhead, right on top of you. Mother Nature definitely showed up those firework schmucks. Now, Nate and I are both sunburned from a day at the pool. I was right, Beth. That red sun last night boded well for our sunbathing and swimming plans. Nate and I also went to the cinema and picked up pre-sale tickets for the midnight showing of “Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man’s Chest.” I’m crazy, I know. The movie starts at 12:01 a.m., runs for 2 hours and 41 minutes, then the mass exodus (I like that term today) and hopefully we’ll be home by 3 a.m. and I have to be up by 6 a.m. for work. I’m napping before we go. AZ is out of town and asked me to keep an eye on things at the shop, particularly one person. I was at the shop for 45 minutes yesterday and we already have a lot to talk about. I don’t like it when people take advantage of other people. I like it less when it’s my friends. I like even less when it’s AZ, and it just plain pisses me the fuck off when he lets them because he’s either too tired, too busy, or too fucking nice. Just call me “Don Peach Corleone,” it’s not personal, it’s business. This is our INDEPENDENCE DAY!
  • |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------