Saturday, November 06, 2004

The Banning of Halloween

As a Wiccan, I feel I can address this issue. I saw a link on Bunsen/ESC/Regan's site about a school district near Seattle/Tacoma, Washington banning Halloween parties/parade because 1) its takes away valuable class time, 2) Some kids couldn't afford a costume and 3) IT MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO REAL WITCHES i.e. WICCANS. Oh, so NOW someone wants to stand up for our rights, by denying school children the time-honored tradition of dressing up and parading through their school. HORSESHIT!!! That makes me... just MAD!! I'm more offended that their using my religion to DENY someone something than the fact that some 5 year old might dress up in a long cape, wear a pointy nose and go around yelling, "I'll get you my pretty... and you're little dog too!" Yeah, what's next? Ban "The Wizard of Oz?" I say BULLSHIT again!! If nothing, Le Wizard de Oz shows good witches and bad witches, depending on what choices you make in your life. That's right, what choices you make. That's right, it shows "A GOOD WITCH." Who wouldn't want to be the beautiful Glenda?? Although most choose to be The Wicked Witch of the West, just more frightening I suppose. I've actually been asked that question, "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?" Gee, I don't know, why don't you throw some water on me and see if I melt. What's next? Ban Christmas parties and Santa Claus because it may be offensive to Christians? After all, Santa wasn't in the Bible. Santa isn't what Christmas is really about, right? After all, Santa is really somewhat of a pagan symbol. Shhhhh... don't tell the Christians.. oh and the Christmas tree, that's pagan too. Shhhhh, I said shhhhhhh... (They already know this but I don't want it catching on with more peeps) Kill the groundhog? Yeah, that's a pagan holiday too!!! Imbolc not Groundhog Day!!! Puh-leeze. If you're going to stand up for a religion, don't do it to remove fun for little kids. Its not like they're burning or hanging witches or anything. They're just dressing up like them. Oh, and if you really want to do something constructive, why not teach these kids what paganism is really about. Oh, that's a mix of Church and State. My bad. Wait, if we're not supposed to mix Church and State, then why are they banning something based on a religion?? They haven't banned the Pledge of Allegiance because Jehovah's Witnesses don't say it, nor do they celebrate Christmas or birthdays, so.... what's the deal? Some Christians don't even like the idea of Santa Claus, but Christmas parties aren't banned. Easter has pagan roots too.... the egg symbolizing fertility. Yet, Church's still have Easter egg hunts. The f**cking White House has an egg rolling/hunt/thingy. And may I add... Halloween has been fought against by Christians forever because it has "Satanic origins," its a day of "trickery and deceit," its "un-Christian." Now, we're banning it because its "un-Pagan." Huh? This is only my point of view. I don't take offense that people dress up for Halloween and go trick or treating, whether they be witches or otherwise. My son goes trick or treating. To me, its not Halloween, its Samhain. Halloween is just what they call it so everyone can participate. This is why I also participate in "Christmas." The Christian celebration of the birth of their Christ has not a damn thing to do with the celebration of Santa Claus swinging by with his nine reindeer. I actually let Nate open gifts on Yule or Winter Solstice after our celebration. That would be welcoming the birth of the Oak King (Sun God) to welcome the sun back to the Earth following the longest night of the year. Activities of Yule:Caroling, wassailing the trees, burning the Yule log, decorating the Yule tree, exchanging of presents, kissing under the mistletoe, honoring Kriss Kringle the Germanic Pagan God of Yule Spellworkings of Yule:Peace, harmony, love, and increased happiness. ~ From www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/yule.htm So, my humble point of view is don't use my religion nor any other to take away the happiness of others.
  • |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------