Tuesday, March 07, 2006

School Days

I’ve decided it will be worthwhile to pursue an advanced degree in Journalism. My school of choice is Columbia. Yeah, I don’t want much. There is a Master’s Program within 40 miles of my home. But, it’s Columbia. While the program nearby is good, the program at Columbia gives me more options toward my strengths and subject matter not to mention the sheer prestige of the institution, the contacts that could be made, etc. etc. Then, there’s Nate. This is one of the main reasons why I haven’t jumped ship and swam yet. If I move, I have no support structure at all. The thought of leaving him behind in his father’s care is enough to give me hives, even if it is just for a year. A year is forever in a child’s mind. But the naysaying has already begun in my mind. What if he get’s sick? What if, what if, what if??? How will I juggle Nate, school, and a job without any help? I know, I know, they have schools and babysitting services in New York, but who knows if I could afford that. Not to mention, the estimated fee for tuition, fees, living expenses etc. is over $58,000.00 for the year. One year. That is six times what my parents paid for my two college degrees over a 4 ½ year period of time. But. I’ve always wanted to go to Columbia. I’ve been to the School of Journalism. I’ve looked at it, off and on, for a number of years. That’s what dreams are made of, right? Of 1,100 applicants, only 246 make it. Plus, if you can write something intelligent (historical, factual, significant) about the following things, you may make it into Columbia: Name 6 of the 9 Justices of the Supreme Court; (I got four current and two retired, doesn’t count) Name the Mayor of New York City; (Got it!) Name 9 of the 15 members of the UN Security Council; (Got four) Karl Rove; Bernard Law; Brown vs. Bd of Education; Tony Soprano; Donald Rumsfeld; Freedom of Information Act; The Gulf of Tonkin; Eminem; Lee Bollinger; Bill Frist; Lance Armstrong; January 16, 1991; Frances Crick and James Watson; Ramadan; Hugo Chavez; Frida Kahlo; Hans Blix; Saddam Hussein; Al-Jazeera; and Gernhard Shroeder. I at least knew who all of the people were, except for Lee Bollinger (he’s the President of Columbia University, DOH!). Then there was a map of the Middle East. I didn’t do so well. My brain is leaking... Wouldn’t it be a great challenge? If I could make it in, you better believe I would go!!
  • |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------