Tuesday, July 13, 2004

And Along Came a Spider...

I have a spider in my car. Its about the size, with legs, of a quarter, perhaps a bit smaller. Eustace, as I have named "him", builds a web every night, which I tear down in the morning. I am a spider fan. Spiders are given leeway in my home. Of course, I don't have Brown Recluses and Black Widows running around either. I just try to pitch them outside where they belong. This is a fairly young spider because I've seen larger versions of the same species on my porch. Eustace is an orb weaver. He makes the big, symmetrical web. Eustace came to live in my car because he chose the wrong place to sleep. I park my car under the 60 foot Ash tree in my front yard. He built a web between the tree and the side mirror on my car. Sunday when I took HB and TLC to see, what else, Spiderman 2, Eustace was asleep under the side mirror. I saw him but figured the wind would blow him off and he would scurry away. Wrong. Eustace held on all the way to the theater about 10 miles away. I was driving, at one point, 60 mph. Tough little dude. When we came out of the theater, Eustace is still under the mirror. Sigh. I thought maybe he was dead and had just wrapped himself up in the web as a casket or something. Imagine our surprise when Eustace releases his spinneret and swings into the car. HB hit the backseat. I'm telling the boys to calm down.. its just a spider. Yeah, I thought that until Eustace decided to scurry across my leg, at which point he was rudely brushed away. (shudder) When I got the car stopped he had disappeared into the bottomless black hole of the passenger side floor. I haven't attempted to find the floor on that side for about 3 or 4 months so... plenty of places for a spider to hide. Since then, I have had a new spiderweb in my car every morning yet Eustace has remained elusive. Until this morning. He made his appearance as I'm threading my way along in bumper to bumper traffic. I see him out of the corner of my eye as he dangles from the passenger side visor. Either a piece of web remained or he performed some spider acrobatics and ended up on the rearview mirror. He then scurried back to the visor and disappeared from sight. I suspect now he is hiding above the visor, waiting for dusk so he can rebuild his web. I've wanted to crack the window in hopes he will crawl away into the wilds of my front yard but the threat of rain has prevented this. Tonight though, Eustace and I will have a show down. He will die in my car, either from lack of food or the heat and as much as I admire him, I really don't want him dropping into my hair in rush hour traffic. I'm afraid I would have to smoosh him. Heeeere spidey, spidey, spidey....
  • |

    11 Comments:

    Blogger evilsciencechick said...

    EEEEEERRRRFFFFFGBGGADFAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHGHGOGH!!!!!

    That's pretty much my reaction when I have a spider in my car. Or in my living room. Or anywhere in my general vicinity, where ever I happen to be at the moment.

    Sorry. Not a spider lover. There's these huge black and yellow spiders that love to make huge webs from the lower branches of trees down to the ground, usually around mid-august to late september. They do this for the sole purpose of having me walk into them while I'm walking my dog, and have me freak out and do the "get it off me" dance.

    Sadie does not get good walks during that time. When she does, I take a big stick with me and wave it in front of me.

    My neighbors think I'm nuts.

    7/13/2004 02:59:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Regan, your reaction was a lot funnier than my post... LMAO!!!

    7/13/2004 03:21:00 PM  
    Blogger Phoesable said...

    So much more aligned with evilsciencechick on this one, but I admire the thought, Inanna. I keep trying to cultivate an appreciation for spiders, since we do share a common goal -- the death of other flying insects in my home. But I couldn't handle one in my car. Even one as small as a pinhead would be too distracting for me, much less the size of a quarter. My flesh crawls....

    7/13/2004 07:34:00 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Hey sweetie,
    i admire spiders but the scare the hell out of me. here we have the ugly tarantala looking brown ones..... those kind likes trees and rotting wood.
    whenever i see a spider i become frozen, i literally cant move...
    i have total arachnaphobia, its weird. wish i wasnt such a scardy... but the power of the spider..

    come into my lair, says the spider to the fly...
    i can not move...
    help!

    7/13/2004 08:40:00 PM  
    Blogger Me said...

    Yo Vader, it's " 'Welcome to my parlor,' said the spider to the fly." I love that... and say it to all the boyz.

    Inanna. Whitewater rafting, eh? (Thought I'd visit your site instead of taking the chance you wouldn't return to mine). And I'm glad I did, because I love the story about Eustace!! As soon as Blogger is up and running (or working or whatever), I'm linking ya!

    7/14/2004 12:10:00 AM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Vader, Ang and Fleece -- thanks for visiting... so glad I could make you shudder today. However, there was no web in my car this morning so I'm assuming Eustace has either succumbed to the black hole of the passenger side floor or he got smart and crawled out of the window last night. Wonderful to see some new faces!!! And Ang, thanks for the link.

    7/14/2004 09:12:00 AM  
    Blogger Celti said...

    I, too, allow the little spider friends to dwell with us in our house. After all, they eat all of the other little buggies that I am not so fond of.

    I vote for the "leave the window cracked open so he can escape" option...don't smoosh him - he's just a baby! LOL

    Although, if he tried to inhabit my mane, he would be in mortal danger as well.

    7/14/2004 10:09:00 AM  
    Blogger Kari said...

    Ever heard of the line "If you kill a spider, it will rain for a few days"? Well, it always seems to happen for me, strange coincedences. Spiders scare me but somehow I let one crawl on my hand one time, he was a pet tarantula though and it actually felt kind of cool. Luckily, my friend took him away from me right after that.

    7/14/2004 02:06:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Yay!! Some spider lovers.. well sorta. Good thing Sloths don't eat spiders... crunchy!

    7/14/2004 05:33:00 PM  
    Blogger The Dave said...

    Take him down... there comes a point where you can only take so much, then the arachnid must die. My old girlfriend had a spider in her bathroom for awhile, she named it Flow... Flow would show up after she was done showering and watch her dry off ... then disappear until the next day... kinda creepy actually...one day Flow parachuted down while that girlfriend was doing her hair... flow went down the toilet.

    7/14/2004 05:50:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Eustace has made his exit. Umm Dave, is that like Aunt Flow?? LOL!

    7/14/2004 09:35:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------