Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Diagrams, Diagrams, Diagrams....

How to figure out who in the hell people are in your family. Let’s start with my little fucked up family, shall we? Where shall I start? We’ll start here at Ali B. and George B. Ali B. and George B. were brothers who married sisters - Lucinda and Esther. I’ll put their children etc. directly below them so you can see the line of descent. Ali B. .............................................. George B. Rebecca........................................... Julie Now, notice here that Rebecca and Julie are double first cousins. They are the daughters of brothers who married sisters. Archie..............................................John Wilson Drawn a line between Archie and Julie and Rebecca and JohnWilson. Put “double first cousin, once removed” on it. On the line between Archie and John Wilson put “double second cousins.” My Mo................................................ Mattie Draw a line between Archie and Mattie, put “Husband and wife” and “double second cousins, once removed” on it. Draw a line between John Wilson and My Mo and put “double second cousins, once removed” and “Grandfather/Granddaughter” on it. On the line between My Mo and Mattie put “Daughter/Mother” and “double third cousins” Nanner.................................................. My Mo Draw a line between Nanner and Mattie , put “Granddaughter/Grandmother” and “double third cousin, once removed”. Draw a line from My Mo to My Mo and put “Self” and “double third cousin, once removed.” The line between Nanner and My Mo will have “double fourth cousins” and “daughter/mother” on it. Nate..................................................... Nanner Draw a line between Nate and My Mo, put “Grandson/Grandmother” and “double fourth cousins, once removed. The line between Nanner and Nanner will read “Self” and “double fourth cousin, once removed.” The line between Nanner and Nate will read “Son/Mother” and fifth cousins. Even more confusing is the fact that not only were Rebecca and Julie double first cousins (and my great-grandmother and great-great grandmother, respectively), but they also married brothers, Jacob C. and George C. Whooo boy! Jacob C..............................................................George C. Brothers (1st cousins)Archie................................................................John Wilson This switches Archie and John Wilson from Second Cousins to First in this line. (2nd cousins) My Mo.............................................................Mattie It also means that now Mattie and Archie are not just husband and wife, but also first cousins, once removed and My Mo and my Mama Mattie are now not just mother and daughter but also second cousins, making my Papa Archie and my great-grandfather John Wilson, her first cousins, once removed as well. (3rd cousins) Nanner............................................................My Mo Now making Nanner not just her mother’s daughter but also her third cousin and her second cousin, once removed, as well as the second cousin, once removed of her own grandmother. (4th cousins) Nate....................................................................Nanner And making Nate not just my son, but also my third cousin, once removed and my fourth cousin as well as being the third cousin, once removed of his own grandmother. Here’s another way to look at it. Nanner.................................................Kevin (1st cousins) Nate......................................................Lee (1st cousin, once removed to Nanner, 2nd cousin to Nate Nate’s child...........................................Hunter (1st cousin, twice removed from Nanner, 2nd cousin, once removed to Nate, 3rd cousin to Nate’s child.) Plus, you have to figure in that Kevin’s mother and my mother were sisters and therefore also cousins of each other, making Kevin and I not just 1st cousins but also 3rd cousins, once removed and double 4th cousins, once removed, which is the exact same relation I am to myself. Does that clear things up?
  • |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------