Thursday, May 18, 2006

End of Watch

Kristin reminded me that it is National Law Enforcement Week. It’s funny, but I’ve been thinking of a guy I went to college with. He and I were in several classes together and the honor society. I remember him well. He was a nice looking man, still wore his hair in a semi-mullet at the time. He had an easy smile and always wore a Volunteer Fire Department shirt. He was the Secretary/Treasurer when I was Vice-President of our honor society chapter. Level-headed and dedicated good ole boy. That was Bill Giacomo. He worked hard in college. He wasn’t outgoing but he wasn’t shy either, more of a watcher. He called it like he saw it. I liked that about him. He’s been on my mind so much lately. I can still see his face, I can still see his smile. September 11th in successive years... 1999, I was in Detroit with T-Bird as she gave birth - 2001, watching in horror as America was attacked, but 2000, that was the year we lost Bill. He was processing a DUI and turned to answer the phone as he was alone in the station. The suspect pulled a .22 caliber handgun from his boot, which had obviously been overlooked in the search, and he shot Bill in the head and left him to die. Over a damn DUI. Sixteen agencies joined in the search for this cop killer. They found him and his name fades out of memory to me. But Bill has never faded. Bill will never fade. No one will ever know why Bill didn’t find the gun in that suspect’s boot but the way he pleaded for his life is forever captured on videotape. Over a damn DUI. Image borrowed without permission from "Officer Down Memorial Page." I know, breaking the law to honor a fallen officer. Sorry, Bill.
  • |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------