Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Hyper-Boy (Part II)

Hyper-Boy is the sweetest kid. I don't think he really has a mean bone in his body, ornery, oh hell yes. Mean, nope. He sometimes gets mouthy, not normally with me but lashes out verbally at other people at times. He's actually learning to stand up for himself now as before he would bend over backwards to have a friend and took all their crap along with it. He's learned when he's wrong to just shut up and take punishment like a little man. For those who have never dealt with an ADHD child, they are very impulsive. They don't recognize danger very well and if they do, they really don't care because they are always looking for stimulation. They also talk out of turn and say things they probably shouldn't. Most of this is kept under control with medication. I said most. He did call his dad a bitch once. (Sorry, I could not keep a straight face on that one.) I've learned as much as I can about ADHD and seizures. I know how the medicine he takes affects his body and his brain. Because I have educated myself, I also know when he's completely bullshitting me. I'll say, "Hyper-Boy, what is the deal man?" He'll say, "my medicine hasn't kicked in yet." I say, "Hyper-Boy quit bullshittin' boy." "Mommy, you shouldn't say the bs word." "Hyper-Boy shouldn't try to bs the Mommy." He'll laugh and quit whatever it is he's not supposed to be doing. He's still a kid and he still does kid stuff, normal kid stuff. What I've learned from Hyper-Boy probably exceeds what I've been able to teach him... by a long shot.
  • |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------