Tuesday, September 21, 2004

What Do We Really Know?

*Morticia is home. The Lonely Child saw her creeping out from the crawl space under his house and as Nate and I came onto the porch to go retrieve her she was already coming home. I'm sure she's pregnant. It just can't be any other way. Kittens anyone?* Now, on with the show. I hate doing political posts. I sincerely do not have the time to do research of every point I would hope to make. However, I do have an opinion, which is mine fully, about how the American people are regularly mislead by the media. I'm ashamed that a news program would air material that has not be thoroughly fact checked. I'm ashamed that a major American newspaper would do the same thing. So, what do we really know? Who should we believe? The major news sources? The Onion? Michael Moore.com? Should be fly to Saudia Arabia and personally interview them to see what relationship they have with President Bush? Should we poll each and every person in the United States to see who they would vote for for President? How about we also ask how many of them actually plan to vote?? I've always heard, "consider the source." I don't give a crap about President Bush or Senator Kerry's war shit. I'm worried about issues NOW! I hear, "President Bush vetoed XY&Z while Govenor of Texas" or "Senator Kerry consistently voted against XY&Z in the Senate." Okay, but why? Anyone who has studied our legislative system knows that those wily Senators and Representatives will stick anything on the end of an important bill to get it to pass. Folks, wake up. Bills in the legislative arena that are being discussed and in committee are not just "Veterans' Bill 400" or "Clean Air Act 2000." Its "Veteran's Bill 400... oh and cut the quality air standards in Coal Mines and make it illegal for Veterans to sue for medical malpractice." The same for the Clean Air Act. I'm sure if bills were kept just bills for specific purposes they would pass. But NOOOO... some assmonkey has to stick a bunch of other shit on the end of it that could spell disaster. Imagine that the Clean Air Act 2004 would prohibit dumping, yada, yada, oil drilling in Alaska, blah, blah, but someone nicely tacked on the end of it that abortions would now be illegal and punishable by death of any living children you have or your parents. Would you sign that bill into law if you were Govenor or President??? Would you vote for that bill if you were a Senator? That's why some things don't pass in the legislative arena folks. That's why they're vetoed at the Executive level. That's why they go to the Supreme Court, or the judicial branch of our government. So much for your Political Science lesson today. I'm saying, its not enough to just listen to the rhetoric of who signed what bill and who didn't vote on something else. If you really want to know, look up the bill and see what was tacked on the end of it. Then see if you agree with what decisions were made by John Kerry to vote against it or for President Bush to veto it. Don't take our media's word for shit. We'll never have a straight story folks. Read the 9/11 Commissions report. Visit the websites of the candidates. Read differing news sources. Its the only way to get a true overview of what is going on in our country. I believe the White House memos are also available somewhere. I did read the budget for 2005 and then the projected cuts in the budget for 2006. Find them, read them. This is where your country is going. No, I'm not doing it for you. Get out there, do some research and form a real opinion. And as I commented on Jack's blog, I really want to know what the relationship between the Saudi's and the Bush family is. Speculation doesn't do much for me but it does make me suspicious that certain things seem to have been continually swept under the rug. I want to talk to the guys who served with John Kerry. Not only that, I want their opinion as to why there are so many differing opinions of what happened. Unfortunately, until I become a journalist and get that press badge, I'll not have that opportunity. Its not going to change my mind one way or the other, I just want to know. So folks, I'm not going to get into a good old fashioned argument about whether Bush or Kerry should be voted in for President. I'm just asking, "What do we really know?"
  • |

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Gooch said...

    And that is exactly why you won't see any political posts from me. I am well aware that I don't have all the information to state my opinion as fact. Some people don't seem to have as much of a problem with that :-)

    9/21/2004 11:46:00 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    I avoid political posts and debates for the same reason.

    what the hell do we know anyway?

    9/21/2004 06:02:00 PM  
    Blogger Zelda said...

    Great post - you've probably read enough of my political comments to know I'm not afraid to get into it, but I agree wholeheartedly about the media. Regardless of what you believe, CBS ought to be thoroughly ashamed of itself. Thank God for the internet and the blogosphere which has finally given the people some way of fact checking the media and finding out answers to their questions instead of having to wait for the evening news to get around to it. It is a great power.

    Also, I will never be so naive as to think that I will ever NOT be voting for the lesser of two evils. Unless I vote for myself, there can be no such choice. And you are absolutely right about the bills in the legislature. They are incredibly nuanced. But it is possible to gain insight into a senator's personal views over a period of time by looking at his votes.

    And the history of Saudi relations between the U.S. Predidents not just the Bush Family is fascinating. And available by scouting around online.

    But the fact that you can bring these questions up so easily and discuss at will is an amazing thing and not to be taken lightly. I'm almost glad this happened with CBS, because I believe it is the dawn of a new age of information.

    9/21/2004 06:04:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    wOOt! Thanks to all who commented. And yes, Zelda, I'm happy too that finally we have another forum for truth-seeking. I think most folks do want the whole truth. With our media... hhahah Anything Goes. I hope this is a new age of information and fact checking. Hopefully soon, we bloggers will make a difference in the world.

    9/22/2004 09:03:00 AM  
    Blogger Zelda said...

    We already have, Inanna.

    9/22/2004 09:19:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------