Thursday, October 28, 2004

Hobbits Don't Wear Shoes

*Shameless brags ahead* I got caught. I thought trick-or-treat was tomorrow night. Not! I found out when I got to work this morning that trick-or-treat was tonight. Funny thing is, Nate decided at the last minute that he did not want to be a ninja but instead wanted to be Frodo Baggins. Lucky me, I had a brown velvet blazer in my closet that very closely resembled Frodo's. If I rolled the sleeves under it looked pretty good on Nate, even if it was a little long. I figured I had tonight to get the rest of it together. NOT! I was a little panicky, having not a lot of cash and even less time to make some semblance of a costume, while at work. I debated K-Mart and Wal-Mart and figured both were out because A) the costumes would be picked over and B) I didn’t have a lot of time. I instead ran down the street at lunch to the second-hand store. I knew exactly what I wanted... but did they have it? You would not believe... I found a cream colored woman’s shirt that closely resembled Frodo’s. It didn’t have the laces in the front, but it did look very Hobbit-ish and it had a tie in the back so I could make it tighter on Nate and the sleeves have elastic on the biceps so I could use that to shove any excess up. Sweet! Then I found a size 5 brown velvet pants. Nate wears an 8 slim but he is so thin that he can wear a five, they are just waaaaay to short. So, that would be PERFECT!!! I then found a gray sweater type vest, rather large actually with a hood on it. It zipped up the front. I unzipped it and figured it would pass for a cloak with some strategic pinning. Total cost $14.00 and I can wear the shirt and the sweater myself. *Pats self on back* I got back to the office and looked at Frodo costumes and realized I was missing the Leaf of Lorien. So, I drew one using the website picture, colored it with a green florescent marker and brought it home. I cut it out, cut out part of a Styrofoam plate to give it some body and then used beading wire to make the designs around it, the stem and the middle of the leaves. Then I colored the spines with a brown colored pencil to make it stand out and WHA LA!! The Leaf of Lorien. Nate came in and we tucked and rolled and pinned. He got a walking stick from TLC and... he was Frodo Baggins. We couldn’t find Sting, so he was without sword but he really didn’t have anywhere to carry it. Had my Mom not gotten his hair cut he would have looked even more like Frodo!! Alas though, no One Ring... maybe I can find something tonight for his Halloween party at school. And no, he didn’t wear shoes!!! (Not my idea but eventually endorsed) If I had a dollar for every time one of the retirees in my neighborhood said he was going to have pneumonia I could afford a nice dinner at a steakhouse. It was NOT COLD tonight. Yes, I know its OCTOBER!!! But, HOBBITS DON’T WEAR SHOES. Yes, Nate walked around my neighborhood without shoes for TWO HOURS!!! OH THE HUMANITY!!! I was sweating and I asked him several times if he was cold, if his feet were cold, if his feet hurt etc. No, no, no, no, no. And he just told all the peeps... Hobbits don’t wear shoes. When we got in the car to go to his dad’s, I reached over to check foot temperature. They were cool, but not cold. He said, "Wanna feel something cold?" Then he laid his ear on my arm... brrrrrrrrrrrrr. The funniest thing was there were two older kids, probably 14 or 15 years old in Scream costumes who walked by Nate and then turned around to talk to him and tell him how much they liked his costume. I swear it looked just like two Ringwraiths and Frodo. YES, I AM SHAMELESSLY BRAGGING!!! I AM THE WOMAN!!!!! I am also shamelessly tired. Oh, and Halloween Kit Kat and Laffy Taffy were the best!!! (Yes, I took pictures... of FrodoNate, not the candy)
  • |

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------