Saturday, October 16, 2004

Inanna's (YANKEE) Asian Deer Meat Chili

Its simmering now... can you smell it? Here's my recipe as near as I can tell for my deer meat chili, which is made different than my regular chili. It has a lot more spices in it to counter the wild meat. This morning before I went to work, because I was too busy reading blogs last night and prepping for my KISS post, I had to get my meat ready. Doesn't that sound just dirty? My first ingredient when working with deer meat is Worchestershire sauce... so add about 20 or 40 dashes of that to a pound of ground deer meat. Then add onions, the more the better, fresh if ya got it. I didn't and I couldn't find my dried ones so I had to proceed. Next, I emptied my cupboard of about every spice I had and added: Ginger Nutmeg Allspice Tumeric Garlic Powder Salt Pepper Brown Sugar Vanilla Butternut Italian Seasoning Chili Powder and part of the kitchen sink. I mooshed all of this together and it was a bit dry so I added more Worchestershire to get it good and soppy. Not sure if mooshed and soppy are words but they are today. Then I let it sit in the fridge for about eight hours or so. I came home from work and unearthed my chili pot, heated it up a bit, dumped in the meat and cooked it real slow and just enough that it was barely done. In the meantime I had also found my dried onions, so I dumped a bunch of them in. And I let it simmer just a bit to get them softened up and added some crushed red cayenne peppers, but not too much. You have to be careful with those. Then more ginger. I like ginger because it has this subtle bite to it but its very woodsy at the same time. I don't use it often though. Then I added a can of stewed tomatoes and two cans of tomato sauce and an itty bitty can of tomato paste. I like my chili RED! So I let that simmer a bit, then added one can of red kidney beans. If I can pick up 2-3 beans in the spoon I'm good. Some peeps like more. Eh, okay, whatever. I also do not like my beans to be in anyway firm... I like them soft and mooshy. Unlike my men. Now, its time for the final tweeks. More Worchestershire, more ginger, more garlic powder, a little more salt, little bit of brown sugar and a lot of chili powder. Normally I also put in a can of green chilis but I'm damn poor and couldn't afford them so... pout. First taste... eh... could be better. Little more salt and chili powder. Second taste... eh... could be better... more chili powder. At this point the ginger is a little overwhelming instead of blending. Add tumeric. Stir, taste, nope not there yet. I empty the rest of my chili powder. Nope, still not there. Go to nabes and get chili powder, cheese and sour cream. They owe me. Add more chili powder... stir, taste, add more powder... little more brown sugar... stir, stir, stir, taste... ummmmm.. now that's perfect. The chili powder and the ginger are in beautiful harmony... the first bite of the ginger, followed by the sustained bite of the chili. I'm a bit disappointed though that I forgot to get some sausage out of the freezer. I had some patties in there. When I make regular chili I always use about half a pound of sausage or so but I'm not sure how the sausage would have blended with the ginger. I don't think it would have honestly. So, all is well. I just wish I had some of those round Tostitos chips... I like to melt my cheese and put on a big dollop of sour cream and sit down with the bowl and the chips and pig out while watching a football game. Alas, no Tostitos, no TV, no football ... but I got CHILI!!! :o)
  • |

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Trashman said...

    Real chili doesn't have beans. What you made should include Yankee in the title. Yankee chili has beans.

    10/16/2004 07:54:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Happy now?? I got Tostitos too... now, about that TV.

    10/16/2004 07:59:00 PM  
    Blogger Trashman said...

    LOL Thats better. You're not missing anything on the TV. 300 channels and nothings on.

    10/16/2004 10:00:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    now that chili would make me explody.

    it smells goooood. but hot. i'm a lightwieght; don't think i could take all that chili powder. i guess the kitchen sink balances it out, though, huh?

    10/16/2004 10:15:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    What? No football? What kind of world are we living in?????

    10/16/2004 10:16:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    300 channels of nothing but I got part 9 posted.

    10/16/2004 11:15:00 PM  
    Blogger Trashman said...

    How did my last comment come up anonymoose. Oh and I answered you comment.

    10/16/2004 11:35:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    El Sid - Ummm, no it wasn't that hot, but I thought it was really good, especially since I bummed Tostitos off the nabes too. It was really good but still think I need to tweak it.

    Trashman - I knew dat was you...

    10/17/2004 10:19:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------