Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Mornin' Bloggers

Yep, me again. For anyone who hasn't been around, I have been posting a lot. If you missed my "twisted sister" poem, page down. I've been inspired by this guy to include an album of the week and I'm adding a book of the week (even though I've been such a putz about Roundtable Confession, so sorry guys, I'm gonna get with it!) Jon is a lawyer here in our great city and his blog is short sweet posts with interesting links pertaining to politics, laws, the judicial system, news of the weird (like the 480 lb. lady who sat on her couch for six years... and her skin and the fabric of the couch grew together... ew), soccer, and car racing. Plus, he's funny. Really funny, at least to me. Nice to hear a fresh, fresh sarcastic, left-winger in this city. I decided to start as far back as I could remember as to what kind of music I was listening to. So, although its Tuesday, here's the album of the week: Poems, Prayers & Promises - John Denver (Original release - 1971) I was born in late 1970 so I figure I started listening to John Denver when my mom bought this album. It is the album with "Take Me Home, Country Roads" on it. That's probably why half of West Virginian's bought it. It wasn't just that song that hooked me on this album. I loved the songs "Junk," "Wooden Indian," "Sunshine on My Shoulders," and the spoken word, "Box." "Box" is incredible and even more so today, has such significant meaning. The lyrics are here. This is a small sample: "They came across a sort of box, bound up with chains and locked with locks, And labeled "Kindly Do Not Touch, It's War." The book of the week is: Are You There God? Its Me, Margaret - Judy Blume I started reading Judy Blume in or around the 4th grade. Margaret reminded me a lot of myself, except I wasn't half-Jewish, half-Christian. Blume made her characters like that. Either you indentified with them or knew someone like them and yes, you would end up in similar situations. An important book introducing religion and faith to me. That's all for now folks.
  • |

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Gooch said...

    That was the one about the girl wanting to get her period, right? The "We must, we must, we must increase our bust" part?

    10/12/2004 10:41:00 AM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Fuckin' A Gooch! That's exactly the ONE! I laugh my ass off about that now, but I can say for sure with the bust I have, I definately was NOT pumping my arms back and forth!!

    10/12/2004 10:44:00 AM  
    Blogger Cattiva said...

    "Sunshine on My Shoulders" and Judy Blume? WOW! Flashbacks. Thanks for the memories!

    10/12/2004 02:21:00 PM  
    Blogger Phoesable said...

    Ditto to Catt. And I forgot about "Box." Thanks, Sister Spirit.

    10/12/2004 03:35:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Catt - Oh it was my pleasure. Look for more Blume to come.

    Sister Moon - “Box” is one of my all-time favorites, just the intensity of his voice.

    Trisha - Hahahaha, yeah, I think I looked that one up. I was afraid if I asked my mom she wouldn’t let me read the books anymore.

    10/13/2004 09:53:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------