Thursday, October 14, 2004

It Dawned on Me...

That I wasn't being real fair about my album of the day since I loved so many songs that I didn't have on albums. So... don't forget to page down and read my post on QUANTUM PHYSICS AND MAGICK. It took me three hours, have a heart, at least read the last five paragraphs or so. Today's Song of the Day is: Somebody to Love - Jefferson Airplane (From Surrealistic Pillow - released 1967) I fully credit this song and Grace Slick for encouraging my singing abilities. There is and was nothing greater than belting this song out when it came on the radio. My parents would have never owned this type of album, trust me on that!! Unfortunately, I missed the other incredible songs on this album and someday, damnit, I'm going to own it!! I imagine myself dancing around with flowers in my hair, lost in Grace's incredible vocal spirit. Personally, I like her better than Janis Joplin. Sorry. Today's Book is: Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O' Dell (Published 1961) This is an incredible true story of a girl who jumps a boat to be with her brother after the Russians invade their small island. He dies, and she is left alone for 18 years to fend for herself. I loved this book although it made me very sad to think of her being alone for so many years. I did appreciate, at the time, a strong heroine who was so self-sufficient. I looked up to her. Regularly scheduled blogging occurs between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 2 a.m. EST and results in posts like the one below. Cheers.
  • |

    7 Comments:

    Blogger Me said...

    Grace Slick completely frikkin' rocks. And as much as I love Camper Van Beethoven, I hate that line in (rats... what song was it... it was off 'My Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart') well, whatever song, that goes "Take off that jumpsuit, you look like Grace Slick." Kind of a slam and not very damn respectful if I may say...

    10/14/2004 12:36:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    No one disses the Grace!!

    10/14/2004 01:23:00 PM  
    Blogger Michael said...

    Hi Inanna. I love "Somebody to Love", too -- Grace Slick was groovy back in the day. That book sounds fascinating too. I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip!

    10/14/2004 06:01:00 PM  
    Blogger Kari said...

    Hey Inanna,

    When you posted the book of the day, it was like I had an immediate flashback of when I was in grade 5 and absolutely fascinated about this book I was reading for school. I knew that Island of the Blue Dolphins sounded really familiar so I found it on amazon and read a sample of it. It's amazing when you forget old favourites and then find them again! Thanks muchos!!

    As for your quantum physics and magick musings and theories, well, I did get lost in some places. This isn't your fault as I have done nothing but read books on democracy written by authors who have no right to be published (How can anyone be so damned repetitive?! Didn't he have an editor?!). Anyways, it's pretty awesome how you showed that the two are possibly tied together. Simply put, you blew my mind!

    10/14/2004 07:14:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Michael - Muahs! Muahs! And hugs all around... glad to see you! Island of the Blue Dolphins was a Newbury Winner. Hope you enjoy it!

    Kari - Hey there! Nice to see you! Glad I could give you a blast from the past. As for magick and physics, OY, I cannot take credit for that. One of the books I listed at the end gave me the idea and I just ran with it... even before I read the book!

    10/14/2004 08:39:00 PM  
    Blogger Zelda said...

    Sorry babe, Janis is my girl. Grace is alright, but she always sounded a little goat-y to me. That was a good song though. Did you see Jim Carrey sing it in Cable Guy?

    10/14/2004 10:08:00 PM  
    Blogger Traci Dolan said...

    Goat-y? Bwwhahahahaha... no, I've never seen Cable Guy. If you could line up all of the movies that I've wanted to see but haven't, they would circle the earth twice.

    10/15/2004 10:58:00 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------